What Is Lymphedema?
Lymphedema, also known as lymphatic obstruction, is a blockage of the lymph vessels. The goal of the lymph vessels is to drain fluid from tissues throughout the body and allocate immune cells to pass through where they are needed.
The lymphatic system returns interstitial fluid to the thoracic duct and then the bloodstream, where it is then re-dispensed back into the tissues. Lymphedema can occur because of genetics, old age, overweight, excessive salt intake, standing or sitting for an extended period of time and drug side effects.
How do we treat Lymphedema at CNS?
- Lymphedema pump– is a machine that has an inflatable sleeve or vest-like garment attached to it, with multiple chambers that inflate one after the other to stimulate the flow of lymph in the right direction.
- Korean Acupuncture– involves placing hair-thin needles into specific points along these pathways in order to maintain the proper flow of Qi. This creates balance in the body, promoting blood circulation and good health.
- Herbal Therapy– we use the highest quality herbs, most of which are produced in Korea. In compliance with the United States FDA guidelines these herbs are used to stimulate your bodily systems and increase circulation and restore normal and harmonious functions.
- Acupressure– for leg swelling patients who are extremely sensitive, acupressure is a wonderful alternative to getting needles. Acupressure is simply a process of using manual massage and gentle pressure at acupuncture points. It will help to reduce pain and swelling.
- Physical therapy treatment– customized treatment plans are designed to increase strength, restore range of motion and alleviate pain. For patients who have leg swelling, our therapists are committed to providing comprehensive physical therapy treatment; one that honors a philosophy of treating the whole person.